On Monday, August 6, 2018, the West Hollywood city council voted unanimously to remove Donald Trump’s star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Trump could become the first person to have his star removed in the walkway’s history. “West Hollywood City council unanimously passes resolution asking the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove the Donald Trump star on Hollywood Walk of Fame,” Mayor John Duran tweeted yesterday.
The star has been vandalized twice since Trump was elected President. 24-year-old Austin Mikel Clay turned himself in to the LAPD after destroying the President’s star with a pick ax in July.
The person responsible for previously destroying the star offered to pay for Clay’s $20,000 bail. “I think I did, like, a real good act,” Clay told TMZ. “Personally, I don’t feel resentful. I feel proud of myself.”
The suspect who vandalized Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is 24-year-old Austin Clay, per LAPD. He has been booked for felony vandalism.
— Tasneem N (@TasneemN) July 25, 2018
The city council confirmed this week that their decision was based solely on the President’s character, not recent vandalism. The council has confirmed that Trump’s star will be removed “due to [Trump’s] disturbing treatment of women and other actions [including] the separation of immigrant families crossing the Mexico-US border; and ‘denial of findings from the United States intelligence community regarding Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election’.”
The star cannot be removed until the council’s request is formally approved by The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.
“Once a star has been added to the walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Hollywood Walk of Fame,” explained Leron Gubler, who served as chamber president when an effort was made to remove Bill Cosby’s star. “Because of this, we have never removed a star from the walk.”
“Once we receive a communication from the City of West Hollywood, it will be referred to our Executive Committee for consideration at their next meeting. As of now, there are no plans to remove any stars from the Hollywood Walk of Fame,” President Leron Gubler said.
Trump supporters have been seen holding a vigil around the star.