A mother and child in Baltimore are staying with family after their house burned down, and unfortunately, their whole family didn’t make it. However, thanks to their family dog, the 8-month-old child the dog saved, made it out.
After a storm knocked out the home’s power, Erika Poremski lit a candle. She stepped out momentarily to charge her cellphone with her car battery, only to turn around and see that her two-story rowhouse had caught on fire. Her 8-month-old daughter and dog were still inside.
“I just heard her crying and I couldn’t get to her,” Poremski told local reporters. “I tried really hard, everyone in the neighborhood tried. They were kicking the doors in and kicking the windows out. I couldn’t (get her out). Nobody could.”
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the fire. They found the dog had passed, still covering the baby, protecting the child from the fire with its own body.
“He stayed with her the whole time in the bedroom and wouldn’t even come downstairs to get out the door.”